News: Press Releases
UPMC Offers Support Groups/Clinics in April
ALTOONA, Pa., March 30, 2017
— UPMC Altoona
offers the following support group meetings and patient clinics in April as a public service to the community. They are listed alphabetically according to where they are held.
Support groups meeting at the hospital, 620 Howard Ave., use the Allegheny and Bedford rooms, the Rotunda on the 6th floor of the Outpatient Center, Dining Room A in the Cafeteria on Tower 4, and the Board Room on Tower 5.
- Alzheimerís Disease Support Group 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., April 25, Allegheny Room. Call 814-889-2141.
- Bariatric Information Sessions by UPMC Altoona Surgical Associates, 5 to 6 p.m., April 19, Allegheny Room. Pre-registration required. Call 814-889-7500.
- Bariatric Support Group by UPMC Altoona Surgical Associates offers education, speakers and support for people who will have, or have had, bariatric surgery,
6 to 7 p.m., April 5, Rotunda. Topic: Safe and effective exercise of any level of physical ability. Call 814-889-7500.
- Breastfeeding Class is offered to expectant parents from 6 to 8 p.m., April 6, in the Allegheny Room, call 814-889-2557.
- The Caregivers Corner Support Group meets at 11:30 a.m., April 6, at Hossís in Duncansville, Pa. Call 814-889-3123.
- The Depression and Bipolar Self-Help Group meets 7 to 8:30 p.m., every Wednesday, Bedford Room. Call 814-889-2141.
- Emergency Responder Support Group meets 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., April 13, Rotunda. Call Mike at 814-505-2901.
- Parkinsonís Support Group meets at 11 a.m., April 24, at Hossís, at Valley View Boulevard and 7th Street. Call 814-889-2141.
- Support Group for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One Through Suicide meets from 7 to 8:30 p.m., April 13, in the conference room in the Access Center, Building C, Blair Medical Center, 501 Howard Ave. (across from UPMC Altoona). Following the loss of a loved one from suicide, individuals
can find themselves searching for answers and feeling indescribably alone in their grief. This suicide survivor support group offers a place of understanding.
The following support groups meet at Station Medical Center
, 17th Street and 9th Avenue. For the Conference Room, use the K-4 entrance next to Fresenius Dialysis. For the Sleep Center, use the UPMC Altoona Outpatient entrance. The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department offers convenient parking and a patient drop-off area on the 17th Street side of the building.
- Breast Cancer support group meets 6 to 7:30 p.m., April 6, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2557.
- Breastfeeding Connections support group is offered 10 to 11 a.m., and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., April 26, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2557.
- The Grief Support Group meets at 6 p.m., April 5 and 19, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2132.
- La Leche League meets 10 a.m. to noon, April 10, Conference Room. Call 814-934-0466.
- The Stroke Support Group meets from noon to 2 p.m., April 11, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2356.
About UPMC Community Benefits
Health screenings are a small part of the more than $892 million a year that UPMC
provides in total IRS-defined community benefits, including more care to the Pittsburgh regionís most vulnerable citizens than any other health care
institution. Over the past five years, UPMC has dedicated nearly $4 billion to community-focused programs and services, making a substantial impact for the
well-being of the people who live, work, learn and raise their families in western Pennsylvania. The complete
UPMC Community Benefits Report
is available online at upmc.com.